1. WHAT ARE CRITTERS-N-CALICO?
Critters-n-Calico are bisque ceramic figurines with a bright patterned fabric applied to the surface with glue and finished with many coats of shiny epoxy. Critters-n-Calico are not mass produced; I make them myself. Critters-n-Calico are not wax candles or soap.
2. WHAT ARE CRITTERS-N-CALICO MADE OF?
Critters-n-Calico are made of white ceramic bisque finished with a technique I developed myself. I use pretty fabric prints, white school glue, and a 2 part epoxy. They are also made with a lot of imagination.
3. CAN YOU MAKE ONE CRITTER JUST LIKE ANOTHER CRITTER?
I can often make similar Critters-N-Calico, but they will never be identical. Each Critters-N-Calico is done one at a time so they are all unique.
4. ARE CRITTERS-N-CALICO FRAGILE?
No, Critters-n-Calico are not at all fragile. The original white bisque is fragile and most ceramic figurines you buy or make yourself are also very fragile. But these precious Critters are covered with fabric and then coated with several coats of a strong and shiny epoxy finish. Although Critters can break it would not happen with a simple drop from a table.
5. HOW ARE THE PATTERNS PAINTED ONTO CRITTERS-N-CALICO?
The patterns are not painted onto the Critters-n-Calico. I use a bright printed fabric for the design you see on each one. The only parts of each Critter that may be painted are the eyes and mouth. I can also add lettering, such as a name, on them.
6. CAN I PUT MY CRITTERS-N-CALICO OUTSIDE?
Yes, they love being outside and your neighbors will love Critters-n-Calico, also. The UV protection in the epoxy that I use will weather-proof the Critters. Of course anything will age with enough time outside, but they will last much longer than you would expect. Many of the Critters I make are already sealed to protect the inside surface, just ask me before you order if you want to be sure yours sealed.
7. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HAVE A CUSTOM CRITTERS-N-CALICO MADE?
The time it takes for you to receive a special Critters-n-Calico varies. If the special figurine is fairly easy to find and if the perfect fabric is available it could be done fairly quickly. Larger Critters take longer to finish. If I have to order the bisque figurine it will add more time. I have a lot of ceramic sources so most of them don't take too long.
8. ARE CRITTERS-N-CALICO GLAZED OR FIRED?
Critters-n-Calico are not glazed or fired after the fabric is applied. This technique, without glazing, does two things:
FIRST; the fabric would never take the intense heat that a final kiln firing uses.
SECOND; glazed ceramic is fragile. This technique uses a strong, shiny epoxy that makes the Critter almost unbreakable, it brightens the fabric print and colors, and each Critter is unique.
9. HOW SHOULD I CARE FOR CRITTERS-N-CALICO? Most Critters-n-Calico can be cleaned with a simple wipe. You can use a mild window cleaner sprayed on a soft cloth if needed. The figurines made for serving or storing food are sealed making them food safe. I recommend you wash them by hand in warm soapy water.